Saturday, November 27, 2010

Wowllaus

So, I have some updating to do.

First and in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I would like to say that I am very glad mummy’s back surgery went well. I wish her a speedy recovery!

Here, things are busy. We’re revving up for some new clients tonight and said goodbye to the last set on Monday past. They were doctors fresh off their residency and in a sort of gap year/fellowship in B.A. They were very in to food and I allowed myself some American-taste-bud liberties (Let freedom RING!) and threw in some spice. (Have I mentioned that Argentines are gigantic sissies when it comes to things piccante?) Here are a few pics:



For some reason I only took pictures of the brown things but they also ate fresh salads with things like pea shoots and llaullaus in them. “What’s a llaullau?” you say… Why, let me show you.

The day before Thanksgiving, Shea and I went on a ridiculously long and vertical hike up to Lago Natacion


(Only later in the day--about the same time that my back and knees spasmed and I collapsed going up the steps to my room--did I find out that people usually take two to three days to do this loop. Son of a….!) Anyhoo, the point here is that, at some point in our journey, we stopped to take some pictures of llaullaus (say the double L like you would the “g” in “ménage-a-trois” and the "au" like you would the “iao” in “ciao.”) Llaullaus are gorgeous and tasty fungi that grow on the trees here and which you eat raw. They are juicy and slightly sweet with a crunchy (by virtue of it’s juice-filled taught-ness) exterior.



They’re pretty darn cool if you ask me.

Thanksgiving, itself was a pretty over-the top affair presided over by nine Americans, most of whom know their way around the spice cabinet. It was delicious and excessive and I will be eating leftovers for days to come. I don’t have pictures of it but I know someone does, so I’ll get on it.


XO from the end of the world,
C

No comments:

Post a Comment