Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'm back

I promised you a post about ginger but it's not going to be nearly as inspired as I had initially imagined. Initially, you see, I was going to describe to you the sensation of moist soil under your knees and the impression of being buried between rows of dew-heavy ginger leaves. I was going to give you a sense of the smell that exists there--the uniquely floral, citrusy and spicy smell the lives only in those sweetly damp rows of Hana Garden at Hale Akua Garden Farms at eight in the morning . Alas, I did sooooo much over the past two weeks that I simply can not stand for a post devoted solely to the pleasures of weeding and eating young ginger. So, we move on, but first a picture of the harvested thing. Notice the pink around the edges--something you NEVER see on the mainland. This means it's fresh bitches. And, please, no need to peel.

I'm going to approach the next part of this post by detailing briefly my itinerary and following it up with some pictures (mostly of things I ate. Go figure.)

I left the farm for a bi-coastal, whirl-wind wedding-athon on the 7th of October. My first stop was San Diego for an evening and then off to NYC for the Grossman-Gaul ceremony. Highlights included a delectable rehearsal dinner at Franky's Spuntino, a brides v grooms whiffle ball tourny and the most thoughtful (and succinct) vows I have ever heard. I stayed in the boroughs until Thursday and spent my time eating and visiting with the likes of Matthew, Hillary, Megan, Nic, Jessie, Emily, Sun and Lawrence. Oh yeah, and our parents :). It was great to catch up and boy oh boy was the food yummy. By Friday I was hanging out with the old roomies in Tijuana (because they all seem to be moving to or have already moved there) and getting hit on by a Mexican pop-star. (!?!?!--Don't ask me to tell you who unfortunately, but I'm going to brag about it nonetheless.) Saturday I went to Mariana and Peter's wedding which was held in Mariana's back yard. There was a giant paella pan and the wedding was officiated by Mariana's mom--not a dry eye or an unhappy stomach. The next day I was on a plane back to Maui. Here are the pictures:






These are in no particular order but include Sun, Mariana, Peter, Ninth Street Espresso, Momofuku Noodle Bar and Caracas Arepa Bar. (A side note: everyone is having babies!)

My trip was incredible and I am very much excited to be back on Maui and to detox until Halloween. (Did I mention I was drunk for ten days straight? Or that I ate five times as much pig in a week than I had in a month and a half? Well, I should have.) I've come back to find the property as beautiful as I left it but my portion of Grace Garden a little neglected. Never you fear, I will love it back to life. I leave you with a photo of the sunrise (shot on my way to yoga class... ommmmmm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment