Monday, December 7, 2009

Top Ten Count-Down: Favorite New Maui Lingo

Salty: annoyed, irritable etc. It was described to me as the feeling that comes alongside having been in the ocean, then having sweated in the sun for a couple of hours, than having put your clothes back on and finally being forced to marinate in them for the rest of the day. An example of proper usage would be, "She was so salty this morning. I thought she might bite my head off."

Runners up in the favorite Island Lingo category include: grind (to eat), eggy (shitty) and ohana (family). example sentence: It was a really eggy situation that I couldn't grind with my ohana last night. Another fun vernacular is the use of "kine." example: "Ho brah! what kine chips you want?" "Onokine chips" (ono = delicious).

puu (hill) is also a fun word--you pronounce it "pu-u."

No comments:

Post a Comment