Thursday, December 3, 2009

Top Ten Count-Down: Least Favorite Garden Smell

There are many types of fertilizers out there: chicken poop, cow poop, worm poop, human poop, compost... As far as truly repulsive smells are concerned, however, blood meal is in a league of it's own.

Blood meal is exactly what it sounds like: blood. It's a bovine product and, when turned into a tea and sprinkled on plants, smells like haggis. It is extremely high in nitrogen and fast-acting. I'm a little confused as to why we use it here as I just read that it should be avoided in warm, moist climates as it will create too much ammonia when broken down by soil bacteria (which, you will remember, we have a lot of) and damage roots. I'm pretty sure that it's just there to make me gag. Not to mention that the concept of dried blood from slaughter houses isn't too appealing.

When I think about organic farming methods in a case like this, I always wonder what vegans think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment