Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hippy Dippy Shit

In continuing with the I-can't-believe-this-is-my-life theme, Sunday I hitchhiked with Lulu and a fellow Woofer, Vi, two hours across the island to a place called Little Beach Near Wailea. Little Beach is a nude beach and every Sunday they have drum circles and fire dancing. Need I say more? Yes, yes I do.

First, I would like to mention briefly that our main ride to the Beach was a 40 or 50 something man driving a Toyota Previa, the back of which he had converted into a bed. Lulu and I were fortunate enough to get in the back (being careful to remove our shoes before dirtying his tatami mat) and enjoyed a half hour doze.

Alright, enough of that. On to the naked surfers. Technically there are no beaches on maui where it is legal to be nude. Little beach, however, is separated from big beach by a cliffy lava pathway that makes it difficult for authorities to enforce the dress code. When we arrived around noon, my first observation was that this was a gay cruising beach. Awesome. Well-buffed, solitary and shaved men dotted the beach showing off their bronzed, tan-line-free bods. (No complaints here). Occasionally they would shift their pose or move to the hammocks they had tied to the trees lining the beach. Instinct must have kicked in and told me "these are your people" because, before I had had a chance to process any of the this, I found myself situated on THE gayest end of the beach.

The beach itself was beautiful: surrounded by corral reefs and crashing blue crystal waves you could see through as you dove into them. As the sun set into the rainbow sky, the drum circle started and the crusty hippies took over. The young straight folk maintained a healthy and bathing-suit clad distance as a proper Venus of Willendorf took to her fire studded hula-hoop routine and her twelve year-old daughter followed suit with a fiery baton act. (The twelve-year-old kept her clothes on.) I happened to be sitting next to the girl's father who mentioned to me three times that "she does it for her daddy." I think I saw one of the buttons on his shirt pop. The whole day young girls with perpetual smiles on their faces combed the beaches with baskets full of chocolate. I know what you're thinking, "Chocolate and a hot day?" Guess they must have been really delicious or something... To the left, is the only picture I took. I was trying to use some discretion but you should note the old man in the the tree. He was combing the beach in a jock strap all day doing crazy yoga poses. I don't think he eats more than twice a week.

The night ended with everyone getting separated and a mild degree of drama. But, never fear, it was very mild indeed and I ended up going home with two other fellow WWOOFers. We all made it home safe and sound with time to spare for a good night's sleep before we started work at eight the next morning.

Below is a picture of my eight rows in the Grace Garden which i must nurture and shot of a cute little Okra and one of it's flowers. Today I planted rainbow chard in the first row on the left behind the carrots. I'm pretty stoked about it as it is a very beautiful crop.



Over and Out,
CMC

No comments:

Post a Comment