Friday, September 11, 2009

More on Dirt

I received some interesting intelligence from Chris, a farm manager, concerning my dirty toes. Turns out the dirt on Maui is used to dye clothes so it's no wonder that it dyes my skin as well. In other news, I have a new favorite plant and its name is okra. Apparently okra is related to hibiscus and the okra we eat is the result of beautiful cream colored flowers. The plants themselves are spindly and tall. They sway peacefully in the Maui breezes.

I spent most of today weeding and transplanting parsley. I've been assigned eight rows in one of the gardens that are mine to "nurture." Included in those rows are two beds of Okra, some lima beans, fennel, carrots, beets, cilantro, broccoli and other goodies. I'm pretty excited about my new babies.

I went in to Paia tonight with Lulu and Airen for some Kailua Pork. The sandwich was kind of soggy and over all meh, but it was nice to get off the farm.

I'll be sure to upload some pics for y'all manana.

Sleep well!
CMC

No comments:

Post a Comment