Monday, September 27, 2010

Growing Tomatoes in October.


Two days ago was the hottest day on record (ever) in LA: 112 degrees farenheit. In San Diego, it topped off at a paltry 108. Though I would relish describing the full-body-sweat-drench experience of working on a glorified roach coach in these temperatures, I'm going to direct my energies towards the anomaly of growing tomatoes in October.

Towards the end of August, San Diego-centric garden guides suggested I nip off the flowers on my tomato plants and allow the already formed fruit to ripen because fall was upon us and cooler, non-tomoto-growing-friendly weather was encroaching. Seeing as this summer was overwhelmingly fog-ridden, I held out hope that maybe, just maybe, summer was late and poo-pooed everyone's advice. One month later my little cherry tomato plant is finally ripening up (helped along by the plastic I cover it in at night to up the temperature even further) and today was the first harvest with much more on the way. Finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment