Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The weekend I made fire like a real woman

On Saturday I smoked a hunk-o-meat for my first, semi-annual, farewell-to-summer BBQ to be held the next day.


The good news: the sun came out for us between 3:30 and 5:30 and, in that time we were able to shoot this awesomeness:


The better news: In preparation for the BBQ, and with the lighter fluid nowhere in site, I was forced to make fire like a real woman. Having never been a girl scout and because I insist on barbecuing with mesquite charcoal and not those unsettlingly-square briquettes, this took me upwards of an hour. When I finally bit the bullet, got on my hands and knees and blew smoke and ashes in my face for ten minutes, I was rewarded with roaring flames and red-hot coals. Very satisfying and very womanly. (If I ever get lung cancer, it will not be from my brief romances with nicotine, but from the amount of ash and smoke I inhaled in those ten minutes.)


The bad news: my brioche buns were not up to my expectations. Next time.


As per usual, Gus knew where the party was. I literally saw a string of drool drip from his jowls during a particularly concentrated begging session.


We finished the day with a drunken parade to the roof for the sunset. Very safe.


Not a bad weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment